Monday, June 8, 2009

*Gift 9* Our Grandmotherly-Grandfatherly-Dad

~♥♥♥~I am so fortunate to have this man in my life~♥♥♥~
for this I am eternally grateful
As it is getting closer to Father's Day, I think of how much my father has adapted over the last three decades.
Having come from a very traditional culture, having had a very traditional marriage, it was truly devastating for him to lose his wife so very young. My mother was only 53 years old. She did all of the domestic work... cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing... holidays... gifting... (although Dad loved Christmas shopping) The emotional loss of his dear love ... topped with the overwhelming loss of a partner in life ... put Dad in the depths of despair for over a year. The second and third years, he began to see a glimmer of light... which became brighter as the months went on.
His sister, my dear aunt, would invite him over for meals regularly. This turned into delivered meals ~ then, very slowly... because of his love for his over-worked sister and his love of independence...my father began his quest to become a cook.

My mother would not recognize him today. He cooks the most delicious meals, bakes birthday cakes (from scratch). He also makes a triple chocolate cake (with a mix, chips and double choc. frosting). He sends cards on everyone's birthday... hasn't missed a graduation, bought all his grandchildren keepsake ornaments every year for Christmas.

I am so proud of the man he has become. His devotion to God, self-disciple and good cooking have kept him healthy for so many years. He will turn 85 this year.
Dad is a wonderful father and a dear grandfather.
He wears this t-shirt from his grandkids with pride. I always wish him a Happy Mother's Day too ... he's done a great job taking on my mother's part. I know she would be so impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment